CEPHALEXIN 500 MG Capsules
Each capsules containing cephalexin monohydrate equivalent to 500
Cephalexin is an acid-stable cephalosporin and is well absorbed
from the gastro-intestinal tract. Peak plasma concentrations,
reached at about 1 hour after ingestion of the drug, are
approximately 9 and 18 ug/mL after oral doses of 250 and 500 mg,
Cephalexin inhibits bacterial cell-wall synthesis in a manner
similar to that of penicillin. In-vitro sensitivity does not
necessarily indicate in-vivo efficacy. Cephalexin is active in
vitro against both gram-positive and gram-negative micro-organisms.
The ingestion of food may delay absorption.
Infections caused by susceptible organisms.
Patients who are known or suspected to be allergic to other
cephalosporins should not be treated with cephalexin.
DOSAGE AND DIRECTIONS FOR USE:
The usual adult dose is 250-500 mg every 6 hours and for children
25 to 50 mg per kg body mass daily in divided doses.
When high doses are required the use of a parenteral cephalosporin
should be considered. In patients with impaired kidney function
smaller doses should be employed: with creatinine clearances of 5,
20 and 50 mL per minute, daily doses should not exceed 0,5, 1,5 and
3 g respectively and 8, 25 and 50 mg per kg respectively in
SIDE-EFFECTS AND SPECIAL PRECAUTIONS:
Side-effects include nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and abdominal
discomfort. Skin rashes occur in about 1% of patients treated with
cephalexin and rises in serum transaminases have been noted.
Eosinophilia and neutropenia have occurred in a few patients.
Supra-infection with resistant micro-organisms, particularly
Candida, may follow treatment.
Care is necessary in treating patients known to be hypersensitive
to penicillin or with known histories of allergy. Reduced dosage is
necessary in patients with impaired kidney function.
The urine of patients taking cephalexin may give a false positive
reaction for glucose with copper-reduction reagents. Positive
results to the Coomb's test have been reported with cephalexin.
Store below 25°C and protect from light.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.